Friday, August 22, 2008

nature things

The rain is trying to stop, the sun is trying to shine and Byron is out in his workshop. Life is getting back to normal after TS Faye. I fixed his lunch and took it out there and decided to sit with him while he ate. As we talked and enjoyed the relatively dry weather we had a tiny visitor come in the shop to pay a visit. A hummingbird flew into the building, checked out the red rope hanging from the open garage door and flew out again. Not believing her eyes, she flew back in, flitted around the rope and then back out. Never to again return.

I sat there with my mouth open surprised at what I'd seen.

"Has that ever happened in here before?"

"Nope."

"Wow."

I had to smile. I love "nature things" and this was a genuine treat for me. I love the frogs' chorus after the storm. The lizards all over my window screens. The dragon flies meandering around my yard. The lone fly that keeps buzzing my face. OK, maybe I don't love ALL nature things, but you know what I mean.

From our front porch I have often seen hawks soar overhead and heard their screaming as they hunt for tiny animals (or maybe chihuahuas) for lunch. We often hear large Pileated woodpeckers call like chimpanzees in the jungle and Byron and I like to watch the little bats that come out at dusk and snarf down as many as 10,000 mosquitoes each and every night. Go, bats, go.

Occasionally we have a gang of wild turkeys mosey down our driveway and across our small road and I have played peek-a-boo around a tree in our yard with a raccoon late at night. The most exciting thing we've seen was a black bear lumbering along the street and down into a wooded area. What a night!

When I see something special like this I feel like the Lord just gave me a treat. You know, like that small, simply great, sweet that you've been hungry for? Well, for me the treat is an out-of-the-ordinary nature thing.

Thank you, Father. The little hummingbird present you gave me today was just what I've always wanted. I love you.

Suz

No comments: