Wednesday, March 26, 2008

that song stuck in my head

Have you seen the Kia commercial where the guy can't remember which side of his car his gas cap is on? He pulls up to the pump and it's on the other side and he really struggles with the pump hose. Then it shows driver after driver doing similar things. The premise is that they have to buy gas so infrequently they forget where the opening is on their car.

It's a cute commercial, but there's a catchy, Dylanesque little ditty, reminescent of my 60s teen years, that that goes along with it that has been stuck in my head since Monday--"I just can't seem to get it right today, I just can't seem to get it right today. I think I'm gonna give up. I think I'm gonna give up." For all I know it may be a real song and I 'm just out of the loop but I do know it's a sticky little thing. Like I said...in my head since Monday!

I don't minimize the role of messages in music because we should guard our minds and what we allow in there, but I also try not to overreact to them. This one, however, bothers me. This seemingly harmless song insidiously tells me over and over again what I fight not to believe anyway--that I'm not gonna get it right today! Thanks, but no thanks, I don't need that kind of help.

While some people struggle with issues of grandeur, over-confidence and an I-can-do-it-attitude, I wrestle with doubts of inadequacy and shortcomings--because I know myself and my limitations. I surely don't need confirmation of them, and repeated encouragement to give up, ringing in my head.

I know that our Father loves me, loves us, and sees us as worthwhile despite this downer of a commercial theme song. Life is not a lost cause, and I am not a lost cause even with all my faults. Psalms 139:14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

The Lord made us with all our intricacies. He made us. We are not a cosmic glob of cells or a jumbled up "combination of heredity and environment" (per Max Lucado's devotion), and there are those times when I just can't seem to get it right, but if the Lord doesn't give up on me, then with His help, I will not give up on myself.

This sticky song is demeaning, discouraging and insulting, but with the help of some good music, I am going to replace it with something more positive--a good message. "Oh Lord, you're beautiful. Your face is all I see. And when your eyes are on this child, your grace abounds to me." Amen.
It's gonna be a good day.
Suz

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am in awe of your writing. I am serious, you need to write a book!
Love you,
D