Wednesday, March 12, 2008

one of those days

I should have taken it as a sign from heaven itself this morning that it was going to be a challenging day today when I salted my coffee. ick. I have never in my life tasted something that was just SO wrong! It was all downhill from there.

Aunt Wanda has been sick since Sunday afternoon, and it worries me when she's not feeling well. She tried to make an appointment with her dr or her dr's partner but both physicians are out sick, too. I've never heard of such a thing but anyway, that's what happened. The receptionist suggested my aunt go to one of the new, very convenient, pharmacy walkin clinics so she could begin a round of medicine as soon as possible and then come in to see her dr at a later time. We just happen to have one of the clinics very close to my house, so I planned to take her there early this morning. I picked up my sick aunt and drove to the drugstore so she could receive the help she needed.

After quite a little wait, we were summoned back into the inner sanctum of the examination room. The dr or pa, I'm still not sure which, was flustered because of an untimely computer glitch just before we came in. She then proceeded to sit at a computer in the room and ask my aunt about her medical history. The medical software asked at least 200 questions and required some typing. After answering all the questions, sometimes after a couple of tries because Aunt Wanda couldn't hear the quickly speaking, soft spoken woman, the software then diagnosed her illness (sinus infection), and told her which medicine to prescribe for my aunt. There wasn't much medical expertise called for at all. I could have done it myself except I'm not allowed to prescribe meds! If that weren't enough the woman trying to help my aunt had little to no typing skills. We were back there for over an hour just trying to get what we needed in the first place. After sending the prescription across the way to the pharmacy for filling we were told it would be another 20-25 minute wait for the meds. By that time I was ripe for the picking and my patience level was nearly non-existent, so we left to do a short errand and came back through the drive-through finally securing a bottle of Cipro.

I took her home, stopped at the grocery store and bought way too many groceries. When I walked into the house, I stepped in a small mound of poo of the doggy kind, and tracked it over the kitchen floor. (Byron was kind enough to see I was frazzled and he helped me clean up the mess and carry in the groceries.)

Just when I thought it was safe, Kayla came home from school and in her rush to get to the back of the house, fell down hard on the floor. Kayla is a tough cookie and rarely complains even when she feels bad so it hurts my heart when she falls. She said she wasn't hurt, but I know it's painful. She maneuvered herself up from the floor and then headed once more through the doorway, but her ankle gave way again. This time she hit the wall with her arm, scraped her wrist and hurt her elbow. At least she didn't hit her head. So now she's in her room waiting for her regularly scheduled visit with her physical therapist. I think she'll need Brandy today.

Why is it that some days seem nearly idyllic and others are full of stalls, glitches and patience testers? Seems like there are days I can just take it better than others, too. I guess I'm not taking it very well today and the day isn't even over yet. It's only 4pm! I still have the whole evening left to go.

I'm glad that no matter what happens, whatever comes my way, however much my patience is tested, tried, stomped and mashed, nevertheless, the Lord of heaven is on His throne and all is right with my soul.

I love you all.
Suzanne

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Suz, guess you must have passed your great day to me last night at church.Thats what kind of day i have had today, but you know God still loves us. Isnt that great to know at the end of the day. Lov ya, God bless.

Pastor Gary B Howell said...

Hey Ms. Sue

I am going to try to comment one more time. Hopefully, I will do everything right this time. As I read your blog I am reminded of the verse in the New Testament that says, "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful ... he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it" (I Cor. 10:13 NIV). "Such as is common to man" yes, we all have those type days. Thank you for blogging.

Pastor Gary