Friday, March 28, 2008

Byron's mom and heaven

Byron's mother is in the hospital. We got the call about 5am this morning that the ambulance was taking her in because she was hurting. After all is said and done today, the tests show she may have had a heart attack and probably has some infection somewhere. We went to see her tonight in the ICU and she's pretty miserable. She's hot and sweaty, very tired, sick, weak and uncomfortable.

Byron and I prayed for her while we were there tonight and asked the Lord to help make her comfortable, peaceful and able to rest. I wish I could say she settled right down and quickly went into a restful, deep sleep. She did settle down some and we're still praying for the good rest she needs.

I love my mother-in-law. She's always been good to me and helped us many times over the nearly 40 years Byron and I have been married. I remember her as a vital, busy wife, mother and grandmother. When all the grandkids were toddlers, we'd leave them with her and Byron's dad on a Saturday night so we young marrieds could go out as couples sans children. Some nights it was 8 young ones running around her house. She'd be up, busy changing diapers, feeding or handing out cookies while Byron's dad sat in his chair and refereed the little rascals. On Sunday nights during choir practice she'd line up the grandkids on a pew with her at one end and Papa at the other to corral them while we sang. She was a brave woman taking on that many kids at once. It's tough to see her so fragile and weak now.

Sometimes I wonder why the Lord takes some people home quickly and others seem to linger on and on. I hope when it's my time to die, He takes me quickly. I've told Byron and my girls that if the Lord chooses to honor my prayer, not to worry about me or cry any more than necessary because I'll be all right. "What a day, that will be, when my Jesus I shall see. When I look upon His face, the one who saved me by His grace. When He takes me by the hand, and leads me to the promised land. What a day, glorious day, that will be. "

I ponder on death often. Maybe it's because of my mother's extended illness before she died last year, my younger cousin Sondra's sudden death last April, or Byron's mom's struggle with her failing health over the years. I'm looking to the time immediately after I die when we won't have to struggle there like we do here. It's true, life is hard and then you die, but, at the Lord's time for us, after death...what a great day! Heaven will be sweet and Jesus, sweeter still. I'm not afraid. I'm homesick.

I love you all.
Suz

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Suz, one of the coolest moments i have seen lately was tonight. Bryon was helping his mother, she is in about the same shape as last night, not good. She looks up to him saying, i love you son, and of course he told her he loved her. Family is great. We will be praying for Mrs Adams. God bless, love yall.

Suz said...

We love you, too. Thank you for your friendship and your prayers.

Suz

Anonymous said...

I loved this blog so I borrowed it for my friends to read!
We are praying for your family.
Love to you both!
B&D