Tuesday, March 4, 2008

purpose

On each missions trip I ask the Lord what His reason is for me to be on the adventure. What am I supposed to take away from the whole experience? We go to be a blessing to someone else, and I know we go to help people get jobs done which might take them a lot longer to do than if we hadn't helped, but when it's all said and done, the Lord works on both ends: He works on behalf of both the blessor and the blessee.

Starting at the beginning of the week, I asked Him often about my role in our latest trip. I asked Him why I was in Jamaica. What was I supposed to get out of the trip, what was I to learn, what was I to take back home with me? I also asked Him why I heard His voice more clearly on these trips? Why did He seem so much closer to me there than at home? Was the Lord more present in countries far from Florida? It was the last day when He finally told me. Thankfully, He keeps it simple for me and answered me in one word.

Purpose.

Our purpose for serving Him is clearly defined on these trips. We have a main mission, a project. This one happened to be a very long, much needed, concrete driveway for the children's home.

Before we leave, we prepare and then we gladly go with our project planned, our tools in order, and our bodies willing to expend themselves for the work. We are ready for some sacrifice of comfort, ready and willing to try new things, and we are open to new people with new cultural experiences.

When we arrive we take time to commune with the Lord because our need for Him is so evident. We are not in a familiar place. We are not as self-sufficient as at home so we pray together, and independently. We pray sincerely and passionately about the task at hand. We pray with fervency for one another on the team and our needs, and for the needs of our new friends. We depend on God.

That's why His presence is more real. It's not that the Lord is any different in other countries. It's that we seek Him differently in these places. Our outlook is more outward toward the Lord, than inward to our own sufficiency. We have purpose and we know how to seek God about it.

So, then what happens to me at home? I don't lose focus completely. I still pray and hear from the Lord, but my purpose seems to be not as tightly defined, not as singular. It's not just one project on the agenda. It's not meeting specific new people and experiencing specific new things. It's my daily life with many avenues of concentration and I choose which one to travel. If I select one that's more urgent but less important, I feel as though I've wasted time. If I select the more important, the urgent screams in my face and I become frazzled because of it. We--I--need the Lord's direction everyday and His guidance for our walk, for His perfect purpose.

Romans 9:17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: "I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."

The Lord raises each of us up for His purpose-- to display His power in us and to proclaim His name in all the earth. I want to proclaim His name in all the earth--in other countries and especially here at home. This is my purpose. Lord, help me fulfill your perfect purpose for my life, each day, and in every way.

I love you all.

Suzanne

No comments: