Saturday, July 18, 2009

Ride With Purpose--Day 3

We started out day 3 with a short stop at the local Walmart. Seems everyone needed just a couple of things this morning. After the quick stop headed on out to Dillard House for breakfast. Our breakfast was exceptionally good. I've never eaten there before so the meal was quite the surprise. The bounty was great. There were two different sausages, country ham, bacon, and chicken fried steak. We enjoyed eggs, grits, biscuits, sweet rolls, fruit juice and fruit, potatoes, sausage gravy and coffee, plus assorted butters and jams. The bounty of the food at our breakfast reminds me of the abundance of grace and blessing from the Lord Jesus. There is no end to His goodness!

We had a ride in the mountains which was scary for me. There was some rain so that was a reason to be concerned. Plus, I just wasn't reacquainted with riding the bike on those curvy roads yet. At one time, I just sat along and enjoyed the ride with Byron at the wheel but we hadn't taken a long distance tour for many years. Now I was afraid. The Lord reminded me not to trust Byron for my safety, that I needed to trust the Lord, and that neither Byron nor I could protect me from bodily harm. Only the Lord has my life in His hands. I had to start trusting Him and soon. We were going to ride the Tail of the Dragon the next day. I needed to learn trust in this thing fast!

After leaving the mountains and the fear of the ride, we found ourselves in the middle of Friday night rush hour traffic in Pigeon Forge. It was horrendous. We went from the sanctuary of the mountain beauty with the green trees, flowing rivers and the occasional elk to the man made craziness and aggravation that is rush hour in any city.

Oh and yes, I said elk. I'm not sure where they came from these ten huge elk just off the mountain road but they were surely there just off to the side. One was lying down in the grass while the others were trying to graze but tourists kept hopping out of their cars to take photos of the huge animals and to try to get as close as humanly possible. People are funny. Put a huge wild animal in the middle of an open field right by a road travelled by humans and before you know it they are following the poor animals with cameras and digital video machines. It's amazing how people throw away their good common sense to stalk something like these wild elk

During our two prayer times this day, we prayed for all our friends and family and our church. Each time is sweeter than the last. We shared our comments, our thoughts and what the Lord is telling us. This is our common theme every prayer time.

The Lord showed me that I couldn't protect myself on our bike--that I need to trust Him to take care of me! Now that's honestly a revelation. I thought I had to tell Byron how to drive the motorcycle to keep us safe. But that's not it at all. By telling him how to drive, I am simply keeping the responsibility for my own safety in my own hands! And we both know, I can do nothing to ultimately protect myself. My life is in the Lord's hands. Period. That's where it needs to be and that's absolutely where I want it to be. He's the powerful one who loves me better than anybody. He's the only one able to take care of me. So far, that's my lesson on this trip. Pretty big, huh?

We ate a good meal at a busy restaurant and finally settled into our rooms late. We're always so very tired from all the riding and activity--but it's an oh so good tired.

Father, Thank you for my eye opening lesson today. You are so kind to me to show me how I can draw closer to you and how my life can be fuller and richer and more peaceful with you. I love you so very much.

Suz

No comments: