Monday, January 14, 2008

sweet unsolicited declarations

I experienced a first this past weekend. Our eldest granddaughter spent the night with her Suzy (me) on Saturday night. It'd been a fun evening. She, Kayla and I went to Olive Garden and ate a great dinner. We came back to my house and finally took down my Christmas tree. I know, it's already the middle of January. But it's down now.

Anyway, we got through with it late, so when we called it a night we were both very sleepy. Byron was out of town so she, Treasure and I slept in my bed, as is our regular practice. Just before dropping off to sleep, as usual I told her to just call my name if she needed me and I'd wake easily. She said ok and then she took my hand, patted it, and said, "I love you."

My goodness. What a heartwarming experience! For a split second, I was speechless. I wanted to hold onto the feeling of sweet surprise at my lovely girl's affectionate declaration. I was deeply touched because this was the first time she had ever volunteered to express affection before I had. You know the way it usually goes. "I love you." "I love you, too, Suzy." And I cherish those moments, but this time I got to say, "I love you, too."

The Lord shows and tells us first that He loves us, and then assures us that we can be confident of His love--that there needn't be any fear about losing His love--for nothing can separate us from it. Redemption is God demonstrating His love even before the world began. He made a way for us before we even knew we needed it.

Jesus gives us much insight into His work here on earth--to bring us eternal life, prepared for us even "before the world began," when he prays for us in John 17:4-5. 4"I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began. "

Now this is a true love declaration. To give one's life for a friend is the ultimate proof of love, and this is exactly what Jesus did for us. The Lord also says in Jer 31:3 "The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness."

What a great thing! To know that God...almighty God, himself...loves us with an everlasting love is more than my mind can comprehend. He shows us His love for us in many ways, daily. What a great day! I feel loved.

I love you all.

Suzanne



No comments: