Wednesday, January 16, 2008

peace of mind and heart

John 14:27
"I am leaving you with a gift – peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give isn't like the peace the world gives. So don't be troubled or afraid. "

Each month that rolls around I do some necessary business with a group of individuals whom I love dearly; my siblings. And, each month I come away from this experience with an agitated heart and mind. I know it's coming and think every time will be different. I think I will handle it better than the last month--that my attitude will be different--that their attitudes will be different. But it never is. So, for several hours of this day, I was particularly ticked off and gripey about them. It's not pretty, and I'm sure it isn't Godly.

My daughter advised me to set some boundaries about phone calls pertaining to this business, and it makes a lot of sense. (Byron and I raised some smart young women.) And I've considered her advice and may just leap out there and do it next month, but I think the issue goes deeper than this. At least it does for me.

One devotional book I read had this very subject on Jan 14. Had I read it then it probably wouldn't have hit home with me as directly as it did on Jan 16. With the agitation fresh in my mind from yesterday, I was convicted by these simple words:

"Ask God to help you get over life's little offenses and irritations quickly...When you put as much energy into 'letting go' as you do into 'stewing and steaming' and trying to control every possible outcome, you'll find that God's peace, "which is so great we cannot understand it." Phillipians 4:7, will start to fill your heart..."

I want the peace that passes all understanding, and I've experienced it many times and in many seasons. What I need is to have deeper peace even in situations when someone just gets on my last nerve. God provides it for us and I want to accept this gift of a peaceful mind and heart, all the time. Help me Lord, to be present--to be immersed--in your peace all the time.

I love you all.
Suzanne

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue,

This is the magic of serving God! He is always showing us how to adapt in ways we do not understand. The most important thing is to realize that trusting God in everything is what makes us what He wants us to be. "You can choose the right road, but you can still get run over". As His children we aim to do what He wants and sometimes us being "run over" is what He wants.

Anonymous said...

Suzy,

Thank you for your wonderful thoughts. It is often difficult to let go of other people's problems and focus on the blessings of our own lives. This verse is exactly what I needed to hear this morning! :)