Thursday, September 22, 2011

Aunt Wanda's birthday!

It was a Sunday, Sept 23, 1928, in Sweetwater, Tennessee, when my maternal grandmother, Myrtle Patterson Kidd, gave birth in her home to Wanda Lou Kidd, my dear aunt. She already had 3 sons, Garnet, 7, Earle. 5, and Kenneth, 3. Wanda was her first baby girl.

Even though weak in her body from chronic asthma, tired from taking care of her 3 active little boys, and exhausted from labor, she must have been happy to finally have a daughter. Wanda was the baby for three years until the others started coming along: Barbara, Margaret, Don, Polly, and Nancy.

The family struggled to make a living. George, my grandfather, was a sharecropper and sometimes worked in the woolen mills. As a girl, Wanda and the others had to feed the chickens, milk the cows and tend the garden, as well as go to school. It was a hard life and they may not have had much, but they never went hungry.

Wanda grew up and went to work as soon as someone would hire her. As soon as they were old enough, all the children had to have jobs and contribute to the household budget. As long as she lived at home, she never questioned that it was her responsibility to work and help bring money in to support the family.

Wanda grew up to be a wonderful young woman who married her sweetheart, Bill. They moved from Tennessee to Michigan to begin their married life and my parents followed. After I was born, Aunt Wanda took care of me for a year while my mother worked. As I grew up she took me with her on bus trips to Tennessee to visit family and other trips to Indiana to visit Uncle Bill's family. We were travelling buddies. She took good care of me and we had lots of fun together. She was my friend then, as she is my friend now.

Aunt Wanda has always treated me with respect and listened to me. I remember having conversations. She'd talk, I'd listen. I'd talk, she'd listen. It's a rare gift when someone really listens and even more rare when she listens to a child or young adult. Aunt Wanda listened and I always felt important when I was with her, as I do now.

When I spent Saturday nights at their house there was always church on Sunday morning and I watched her live a Christian life in a practical way. I saw her write out her tithe envelope. I heard her sing in church service. I learned how to behave in church by her example. I learned that church was a place to worship the Lord, but where you could also make great friends! I still remember some of the ladies she was friends with at Missionary Church in Royal Oak, Mich. She was my example of a true Christian in every day life.

Over the course of their lifetimes, Aunt Wanda and Uncle Bill opened their home to many family members when they needed help for a time and also took on the responsibility of raising foster children. As a young girl, I remember meeting many new "cousins" and observing how each one was brought into the home and simply accepted as one of the family.

Aunt Wanda turns 83 years old tomorrow and is still interested in what's going on in mine and my family's lives. She has her own tremendous aches and pains but still asks me about my children and grandchildren, about what we've been doing and what we plan to do. Although her health does not permit much activity, her interest in life beyond her bedroom walls is amazing, vibrant and alive!

Happy Birthday, to my dearest Aunt Wanda! You have been my best friend from the day I was born until this very moment. I love you and wish you only good days! The Lord truly blessed me when He brought us together!

Father, Thank you for your gift of Aunt Wanda to me. She's a perfect fit! I love you, Lord, for your great blessings to us. Please bless her in amazing ways even now!

Suzanne



No comments: