Thursday, April 23, 2009

Jesus, Superman and Expectations

I have two scenes to describe. At first when these events happened, I couldn't see a connection or any kind of link between them, but after thinking about it for a couple of days I think I know what the Lord is trying to show me through them. Here goes:

Scene 1:
I saw Superman this morning at the corner of SR 436 and Wekiva Springs Rd. He was wearing a red cape, blue tights, had bulging biceps under a white shirt and a big red "S" emblazoned across his chest. He put his hands on his hips and jumped around like he was getting ready to fly--kinda like the real Superman might have done, if there really was one. At one point he actually leaped over a small sign stuck in the ground at the corner. He occasionally held up a poster board sign probably advertising something to all the cars passing by him. I had to give the guy credit. He was quite the showman in his hot red cape and big red "S". He surely made my morning lighter even though I KNEW this was not the superhero, Superman. No such thing exists. I know this at my very core.

Scene 2:
I was in Walmart a day or so ago. While I was looking at some kitchen stuff, I noticed two women talking together just down the aisle from me. An average day. Average women shopping. As I picked up the frying pan to check it out closer, I heard one woman exclaim excitedly, "Jesus!"

Now, I didn't hear the women's conversation. I have no idea what they were talking about--Nada. Nothing. And, I have overheard people of all sorts use our Lord's name as a byword or even a curse word and each time it hits me deep in my heart because Jesus' name is precious to me, but though it may have been said carelessly, that's not how she sounded at all. In her excitement, there was a nuance of expectancy, an element of happy surprise and for the slightest split second--a nanosecond even--my heart leaped at the thought that she might have seen Jesus. I know, I know. On the cookware aisle in our Walmart?

Back to Superman. Even though I saw an actual person in the Superman outfit, I wasn't the least bit persuaded to think that the guy on the highway was a real superhero. There was no instantaneous flutter in my heart that he really might be Superman and that I might actually meet him. There was certainly no disappointment for me because he was just a guy advertising one thing or another. But, after my immediately happy reaction in the store when I thought the woman saw Jesus, there I was, back to earth with a frying pan in my hand, and I have to tell you I was disappointed that Jesus wasn't there--at least not in the flesh.

At first, I felt silly for my reaction. What did I think I would see? A man in Biblical garb, with long hair wearing sandals 10 feet from me? Maybe. I don't know I didn't have enough time to form an actual image in my mind. I wondered if I was losing it a little. Really, Suzanne...c'mon--Jesus in Walmart? But over the last couple of days I've thought more about it and I realize that as followers of Christ we live in expectation of Jesus' return. We walk daily in Jesus' presence. We pray without ceasing. He lives in us. He is with me wherever I go--Publix, Walmart, church, visiting relatives, vacation, it makes no difference to Him. He is ever present in His children's lives.

1 Corinthians 13:12 (The Message)
12We don't yet see things clearly. We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won't be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We'll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us!


I find my reaction humorous but I don't feel silly or foolish about it anymore. The Lord has shown me that it's a good thing to live with a sense of expectancy and anticipation of Jesus. The events of that day have encouraged my heart about seeing Jesus face to face. I don't know how I'll act on that great day and I don't know how I'll feel except I know, that I know, that I know, it will be good. It will be so very good.

Lord, Thank you for the expectation of seeing you face to face. I can hardly wait! I love you. I love you. I love you!

Suz

1 comment:

PattiSue said...

On K92 this morning they were talking about the guy who runs around dressed like superman claiming to be fighting crime. They were questioning his existence, but apparently it is true! You have seen superman!

PS - I'd rather see Jesus in Wal-Mart too.