Thursday, January 22, 2009

Missions Sunday

Our church goes all out for our Missions Sunday services. A few months ago Pastor Gary asked me to write a 20 minute monologue and perform it for our congregation on our church's annual Mission Sunday. He had a specific picture in mind for what I would write, how I would dress, and the ultimate message of my character. I accepted his request and did my best to work within these parameters.

Last Sunday, January 18th, was the day. In the midst of a fully decorated church campus, complete with thatched roofed stands serving Caribbean foods like jerk chicken, coconut pudding and fried plantains in the foyer, flags of a multitude of countries hanging from the ceiling in the sanctuary, and giant posters of photos of our own people from our church's past mission trips, I fulfilled my part...and it was grand. It was a tremendous day. What a rush!

As for my part, it was work, but it was joyful work. I researched what Pastor Gary wanted. I read Acts and Phillipians thoroughly and often. I familiarized myself with Paul's conversion and his subsequent mission to the Jews and Gentiles. I thought about how the day might have begun for the others with Lydia and I considered how it might have felt to be with her when the Apostle Paul met them at the riverbank on Sabbath morning. I imagined myself as a new believer in Jesus after hearing Brother Paul share his own testimony and the events that followed in the town of Phillipi. I thought about my character a lot and how she fit into the scheme of things as a new believer in Christ. Even so, before, after and during all that work, I prayed. The Lord answered and I wrote down what He gave me--my character's monologue in a simple, easy to follow story.

Once I got the story down, that part was complete and it was time to memorize--9 pages--but I didn't want to merely quote memorized words, I wanted to tell Myra's story. That's her name. Myra. Although I was the one who named my character, I know there have been many, many Myras and even Marks in the church's history. Those unnamed brothers and sisters of ours in the Lord who have, over time, served Him faithfully. They have worked and done their part and more to tell others about Jesus and the changes He makes in the lives of His children.

So, I began reading and practicing to get the words into this old brain of mine. It wasn't an easy task, but it wasn't impossible either. I practiced and prayed. I prayed and practiced. And at some point, it stuck. It worked. I could tell the story all the way through without skipping sections. As much as I practiced, it was prayer that cinched it. The Lord truly came through for me in this project. Without His help and blessing I would have been a stumbling, bumbling woman in costume trying to tell a story to our congregation last week.

I appreciate the compliments for the part I played in our special day at church. We all like to hear, "Well done," but I'm not writing this entry today for praise for myself for this project. Heaven's no! I couldn't have had less to do with its success than if I'd not done a thing.

I write this morning to share with you the faithfulness of God. There is no one more faithful than He. I believe He gave me the job to do and what He calls us to do, He will equip us for. So, it was the Lord who gave me the monologue and I can easily say, it was good. The Lord does good things. I take no credit for it. It was the Lord who helped me remember Myra's story, not my own doing. Of this, I have no doubt. Someone asked me if I was nervous on stage. Truth be told, no. I had no reason to be afraid of what would happen. The Lord carried me all the way from beginning to end.

Hebrews 13:20 May the God of peace...21equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

What a great God we serve! He bent to help me when I called on Him and He will do much more if we only ask. Jesus always proves to be faithful to us. The Lord was certainly a very present help to me in time of need for this project. He shores up my trust in Him over and over again.

Thank you, dear Father. All honor, all praise, all accolades are completely yours. You did good. I love you so very much.

Suz

No comments: