Wednesday, January 28, 2009

day five--second half of the pour

Breakfast this morning was pancakes, eggs, cereal, toast, fresh fruit, coffee and juice. When we'd all eaten our fill we went to the porch for our usual devotion service. I wish you all could be here for these special times with the Lord. The sun is coming up over the mountains, the ocean breeze is cool and blowing steadily and the birds sing really loudly here in Jamaica. Pastor JR spoke to us today and encouraged us to keep our walk with the Lord exciting. We sang a few songs and prayed. It's a sweet time in the Lord together before we go our separate ways to work.

The guys and girls worked especially hard trying to get the second leg of the driveway poured today. There was some problem with a wire puncturing a water tank on the concrete truck but other than that and a few changes, the day went well. The younger ones worked especially hard carrying water down to the concrete crew. Caleb and Taylor filled bottles, carried coolers and ice to them like worker bees. The older boys, Judah and Geordan have been knee deep in concrete and kept on trucking. I'm so proud of our young ones on this trip. The girls, Dani and Taylor, also jump right in to help wherever they are asked, as do the boys.

Supper was jerk chicken, rice and beans, callaloo (a delicious green that tastes a little like asparagas), festival (a fried doughnut like bread), and salad, with cherry cake for dessert. We also had sorrell to drink. Mrs Baugh took the sorrell blossoms, which are a gorgeous rose red color, and boiled them with fresh grated ginger. The mixture steeped overnight and then today it was strained twice and sweetened with sugar and served over ice. It's a different taste to be sure, not unlike cranberry juice. I think I could grow to like it very much.

After dinner we had church with the children. The music was lively and worshipful and Pastor Steve brought us a message about miracles. Mrs Kim had a word from the Lord for someone and said today was a new day for him or her. Today was a new beginning. Starting now. It was a joyful word and surely good news. I love how the Lord's mercies are new every morning for all of us. Pastor Gary then led us in a communion service with the kids. It was a touching service and I was very glad to be there.

I'm starting to miss home. I know, I know, it's only been a few days but when you are around someone else's children all day, it makes you want to see your own, too. I want to see Amy and Holly and Kayla and Hannah and Summer and Sid and Tony and Lane. I miss Aunt Wanda and Aunt Margaret. I miss my pups and my home. Some might think it silly but after a little while Jamaica feels further and further from home.

I guess I'm just tired tonight but I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm looking forward to resting and waking refreshed because of the Lord's blessings that are new every morning. It's going to be a good day tomorrow, Lord willing. He is truly good.

I love you, Jesus. I enjoy spending time with you. You're the best.

Suz

No comments: