Thursday, December 25, 2008

this Christmas

We had a fun time last night on Christmas Eve despite my fretful, freaking out kind of nature. The only glitch wasn't too big, but it did get to me. My nephew and his family came to our house and in my efforts to see that everyone had everything they needed or wanted, I forgot to give the baby his present before they went home, so at 11:30 pm last night, after everyone had gone home, I was stressing over it. I called him this morning and apologized for my error and of course my nephew was understanding about the mix up. We couldn't meet up today but I will see to it that little Kieran gets his gift tomorrow. That's the plan.

The meal turned out well and I knew I'd fix way too much food. The ones with prior commitments ate their fill and left early to meet their other obligations. The kids played outside running around all willy nilly in the dark as kids do when allowed an extra measure of freedom because of a special event. They ran amuck and had a blast doing so. There were a few little girl shrieks and lots of laughing. Meanwhile, there was an enthusiastic Euchre match between Amy and Lane and Holly and Tony in the living room, hunting talk in the family room and girl talk at the dining room table.

When the evening drew to a close, we cleaned up the mess, put away the food and said our good nights. We lingered in the kitchen and told just one more story, said one more goodbye. Our farewells carried out to the driveway where we hugged once more, trying to stall the end of a really nice gathering. Then the cars backed out of the yard and onto the street for parts home.

I know that not everyone has smooth, drama-less, holiday parties. Emotions are often on the surface at Christmas and sometimes hearts are bruised by careless words and actions but without sounding saccharine, that didn't happen at our home last night. Family and friends came together, had fun together in ways that our unique to our circle, and went home happy. It was an uncomplicated and fun night. How I love the simplicity of it all.

Christmas day was beautiful with just our immediate family together to celebrate Christ's birthday. We have a late, big breakfast of bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy, grits, eggs and orange sweet rolls. After we eat, and without cleaning up anything, we all go to the family room and my husband leads us in a prayer of thanksgiving to the Lord for all His gifts to us. It is my most favorite few moments of the entire holiday season. There is no commotion and frantic opening of gifts until we first thank Jesus for his blessings to us. This has been our Christmas morning tradition since our daughters were just little things. After we thank the Lord, then all gift-giving chaos breaks loose. I love that part, too.

Following present-time, the little ones and the dads play with their gifts and the girls and I clean up from breakfast. Amy pitches in to help the kids enjoy their presents while Holly and I put together our traditional Christmas day lasagna for later on in the afternoon. This year we tried out a new pan made just for lasagna. It's quite large and while Holly put together all the delicious parts of the dish, I directed from right beside her. She said I was a 'back seat cooker.' We fussed about the details and had loads of fun doing so. While it's baking, we all pile into our cars to visit Byron's mom for a little bit. We head home, eat our early dinner, which turned out delicious, and then part company for the rest of the day. After a full couple of days, I crash, satisfied.

Our ways of celebrating Christmas may be lots different, or not so different, from yours, and that's OK. What we do, our traditions, work for us, as yours do for you. Sometimes they stay the same for a long time, sometimes parts of our routine ebb and flow in change, but the truth remains that they are unique to our family.

I cherish our Christmas traditions and eccentricities. It's what makes the Adams' family, the Adams' family. These are the routines that my grandchildren will remember, and, should the Lord tarry, will pass along or at least tell their children about. Family stories. Family ways. Precious memories. I thank the Lord for them.

Father, Thank you for my dear friends and family. Thank you for time to spend with them all. Thank you for a peaceful heart. Thank you for an absolutely beautiful Christmas.
I love you, Lord.

Suz

No comments: