Monday, December 8, 2008

good and faithful teachers

Mrs Ruby Pribble was my Sunday School teacher at Calvary Baptist Church in Michigan when I was about ten years old. Mrs Pribble is now 81 years old. I have never forgotten my time in her class or her. A couple of years ago when we were preparing to go on a missions trip to Macedonia, I thought about her and I decided to try to find her. Through a series of mouse clicks and an email, I was soon speaking with her on the phone. My search took about an hour. Although she does not remember me from her class, it has not made any difference to either of us. We have reconnected and written several letters back and forth. I received a letter from her this morning. I will share her letter in part.

Dear Suzanne,

...Thank you for your little peek at the mission trips you have been privileged to make. What wonderful opportunities to serve the Lord. Mission trips were never heard of a few years ago. Our world has shrunk and modern technology has sped up missions goals. I wonder if God has allowed this to speed up the gospel and hasten the return of Christ. "Even so, come Lord Jesus."

We just celebrated Thanksgiving. How good the Lord has been to us. How blessed we have been as a nation, Suzanne. We may be entering a new phase of life here in our nation. The title, "Christian nation" is not deserved any longer. The killing of millions of babies and the acceptance of homosexuality have taken down great countries before our own. God never ignores sin.

Sorry. I shouldn't pursue such a sad topic, but Suzanne I'm an old lady, but you could face persecution in the next few years. Study the Bible and memorize as much as you can. It's the Word that will sustain us, come what may.

May God abundantly bless you and yours.
Lovingly,
Ruby Pribble


The Apostle Paul helped his children in the Lord with his words and wisdom in his letters to the churches. Similarly, Mrs Pribble does the same thing for me. Within only a few sentences, she encourages, she admonishes, and she instructs me wisely. She helps her daughter in the Lord with her wisdom and encouragement. What an example of our words as powerful tools and a strong help when given with much wisdom and love.

Lord Jesus, Some 46 years later, Mrs Pribble is still my teacher. Thank you for giving me a good and faithful teacher as she is. Help me to also be a good and faithful friend to those you put in my life. You give good gifts, Lord. Thank you so much. I love you.

Suz

No comments: