Tuesday, December 16, 2008

the season

Our church Christmas production was Sunday night and it turned out well. I was excited to be asked to be the narrator. It wasn't a difficult thing, but it was trickier than I had initially thought it would be. Who knew that reading a script with genuine emotion, in time to the music, with a spotlight in your eyes would be a challenge? Duh. I have new found respect for narrators everywhere. Thank the Lord that even with the few stumbles I had I was able to skirt the disaster of losing my place or some other public speaking train wreck.

The choir worshipped the Lord in their music and I think its the most important thing about any church program. If it's just a 'show' at church, then I'm underwhelmed, but if hearts are truly lifted in praise and in worship with the holiday music or whatever is done, it makes all the difference in the lives of those listening. Our choir worshipped and led us all in worship. It was beautiful.

Holiday programs, special events, gatherings of friends and family, special lunches with girlfriends, unharried solo shopping trips or with children, foods unique to the season, giving a little money in the Salvation Army pot at Walmart, are what make the Christmas season unique. It's a time of celebrating our Savior's birth by opening up our hearts to one another and the world. Wide open hearts full of generosity with love and giving whatever we have--a present, a little money for a good cause--open kindness--freely given--one to another.

Pastor Gary gave us a visual on Sunday morning that struck home with me. When the man with leprosy came to Jesus, he said, "If you will, I will be healed." In compassion, in generosity, Jesus said, "I will," and the man was healed.

Matthew 8:1 When Jesus came down from the hill, great crowds followed him.2 Then a man with a skin disease came to Jesus. The man bowed down before him and said, "Lord, you can heal me if you will." 3 Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man and said, "I will. Be healed!" And immediately the man was healed from his disease.

Our world needed a Savior. The world cried out and said, "Lord, if you will..." And the Son of God, with generosity of heart and great love and compassion, put on humanity as the baby in Mary's arms and said, "I will."

I don't know why Christmas seems different for me this year, but it does. The lights on homes and trees shine a little brighter. The poinsettias are fuller and richer red. Children are more adorable. Smiles are quicker to shine. Patience seems to be longer. People are friendlier to one another. I feel more relaxed--I feel peaceful--about it all. Maybe some of the grief of the season has eased up for me a little. Maybe it's because I'm a little older. You know, time passes, wounds become less fresh, less sharp. Or, perhaps the Lord is simply healing my poor, battered Christmastime heart. I'm not too concerned with why it's different this year, I'm just glad it is.

Father, our Savior came us us willingly, generously, freely. Thank you for sending just who we needed, at just the perfect time. You give us the best gifts of all. Help me to revel in your generosity and also give of myself in the same liberal way. I love you, Lord.

Enjoy the season, all :)
Suz

No comments: