Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Monday night fun


What a great time! Our friends, Marsha, Odis, and their son Sam, along with Benny and Joyce came to our house last night for dinner and conversation. We’ve been on many short term missions trips together but haven’t all been together in quite some time–since Marsha and Odis moved to Alabama more than a year ago.

I cooked a good hearty meal of garlic chicken, rice, green beans and roasted veggies (yellow squash, brussel sprouts and carrots. We all ate till we were full. Dessert was pecan pie, berry pie and vanilla ice cream. I often get nervous cooking for my extended family–not for my children–but I never feel nervous when I’m cooking for these friends. I don’t feel insecure with them. When you’ve shared hardship and difficulty on a mission trip with someone, you know whether they are judgmental or not toward others. My friends are NOT critical or harsh. I can cook for them and they will enjoy the fellowship and the food. My plates can be paper to save work after the meal. My glasses can be mismatched. The girls will pitch in and help get the food on the table and then help me clean up after the fact. It’s what we do. It’s who we are. So I didn't stress about this meal, about this get together.

Conversation during dinner went from ethics, to finances, to wills, to memories of previous trips around the world. There was nothing boring about anything we talked about. Anyone can speak up. Any opinion is heard. Lightness is inserted whenever desired. Seriousness and silliness are both encouraged. We can be ourselves without fear of recrimination or ridicule. We like each other and it shows.

I feel so very blessed to have these people and other good friends in my life. They are my siblings, my friends. True friends. Thanks, Father. I love these ‘gifts!’

Suz

2 comments:

Marsha Mooty said...

Love being with ya!! Dinner was delicious!! And the company was amazing!!!

Suz said...

Thanks, Marsha. We love you guys!