Monday, September 8, 2008

colonoscopy

I had a colonoscopy today. I worried about it quite a lot before it actually happened even though I tried not to. Thought I might die or find out horrible news of colon cancer even though that had not been my doctor's concern. At the very least I imagined unimaginable pain from the procedure. (imagined unimaginable?)

While I was IV'd, blood pressured and prepped for this presupposed torture I worried a little more. I kissed my husband goodbye at the waiting room and they wheeled me down to the endoscopy waiting room. I waited for nearly an hour until my doctor came to procedure me. I was a huge baby this morning and I needed the comfort of one who cares for me like no one else.

That's when I prayed. I asked the Lord to stay right with me. To protect me. To keep me safe and to allow me to have a good report. And He helped me so much. Once I put myself into his dear hands for this thing, He calmed me as only He can do.

My report:

There was a bit of discomfort. No real pain. There was also a good medical report. No polyps. No cancer. And, I lived through it.

I've been thinking about why I let myself sink so deep into the worry pit and I've come up with a couple of reasons; I had the CT scan fiasco a couple of weeks ago where my vein blew and all the contrast went into my hand and it hurt something awful. Then, my sweet Aunt Wanda was very sick and just got home after a week long stay in the hospital. She was often in a lot of pain and we spent much time considering medical things for her to help her get well. I think I had medical overload. (Aunt Wanda is recuperating at home. Please pray for her quick and complete recovery.)

Worry. It will drive you crazy. Allow it and it will suck every bit of joy and peace of mind you have right down the useless drain.

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" Matthew 7:11

Our Father loves to comfort us. It's one of His best things. When I asked today, He gave. He's like that.

I love you, Lord.

Suz

No comments: