Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Aunt Wanda's birthday

Today, September 23, 2008, is my dear Aunt Wanda Williams' eightieth birthday. Yes, eighty years old today! What a great thing to happen. She has been in my life since before I was ever born. There are many old photos of Aunt Wanda and Uncle Bill with my dad and mother when Mama was expecting me. At picnics, on boats, dressed up on Easter, and on road trips. I was there, but I was hidden behind large maternity tops.

I was the first child of the group that would become my siblings and cousins so I also got all four adults as my first playmates. As much as it pains me to say it, I was pretty spoiled. When Mama went back to work after my birth, it was Aunt Wanda who cared for me. Except for my mother herself, I couldn't have had anyone who loved me more than Aunt Wanda did to take care of me every day.

We have always had a special relationship, Aunt Wanda and me. As the only available kid for a while, I was the one who got to spend the night at her house the most. I went to church with her. She took me on train trips to Tennessee to visit Grandma and bus trips to Indiana to visit Uncle Bill's family. When Grandpa died, I rode in the car with Aunt Wanda and Uncle Bill to his funeral instead of with my mom and dad.

When it's good, it's a special relationship between an aunt and niece. It's close but not smothering. It's respectful but not fearful. It's fun, sometimes silly, and always friendly. She has always listened to what I had to say without ever putting me down or making fun of me. There has never been one time in my life when I wasn't glad, happy, and excited to see my Aunt Wanda.

To think of her is to smile. Period.

I love my Aunt Wanda. Her life has not been an easy one and the last several years have been some of the most painful in her long life. She has helped more people than I can count, family or not. As a young girl, I watched her serve the Lord faithfully. It is she who is my example of a life of sacrifice and giving to others. She's the sprinkles on the cake and the glitter on the hat but she's not just the fluff. She's also the beef in the stew. There's no one like her and I'm one fortunate woman to have her in my life. God has blessed me for nearly 56 years with her so far and I'm looking forward to many more.

Happy Birthday, Aunt Wanda. I hope this is a great day for you. Having you with me surely makes it a great day for me!

I love you.
Suzy

No comments: