Thursday, June 26, 2008

our chickens coming home to roost

Aunt Margaret may be coming home next week! She's been gone since April 21 and it seems like forever. She actually lives in Tennessee and Florida and now it's our turn again and I'm glad. We all miss her so much when she's up there going to doctor's appts and visiting with her children. She lives with Aunt Wanda down here and they take care of one another and keep each other company. It's a good arrangement. Now, if only Aunt Polly could come...

My sister Kathy and her family are moving down here from Pennsylvania to help with the business and be closer to us all. They should be here either Sunday night or Monday. This makes me very happy. I've missed her since she moved to PA back in the 70s. I think this will be a very good thing.

I'm not everyone's mother, but sometimes it feels like it. I often feel like a mother hen gathering her chicks to protect them. If everyone is home, then everything will be OK and if it's not OK, then we'll get through it together.

I remember when our girls, Amy and Holly, were young and we'd have bad weather. I couldn't rest until they were under our roof...close enough to touch...so I'd really know they were OK. I've said more than once to my then teens, "It's going to storm. I want you home!" Some of my fondest memories are during hurricanes or winter storms when we were relegated to the house because of conditions outside.

One Christmas we had such cold weather the power company did rolling blackouts, cutting power to specific areas for a while, then to others for a while to save power. I had stocked up with food and supplies, and Byron had more than enough wood stockpiled for the fireplace so we had nourishment and warmth. We had company staying with us that weekend so the house was full of people who couldn't go anywhere, so we had entertainment, too. The house was a disaster but we were full and warm and with all of us going through this together we had a blast! As long as my family was close by, I was content.

It's a little different now with both girls having families of their own, but still good. I love having everyone over within arm's reach, but I also love knowing they are nestled in their own cozy homes, spending time with their own little brood. There is contentment and continuity in family coming together, whether it's coming back home from a long time away or coming over for dinner at Mom's or knowing your children are together in their own nests.

My family is good to me. They allow me to gather them up under my wings and hold them close. Each and every one in his or her own unique way is a great blessing from God--from my husband to my two daughters and their families to my aunts, cousins and extended family.

As I yearn to gather my chicks, so does the Lord want even more to gather us and protect us. There is a certain amount of protection for my chicks at my house, but how much more contentment and protection are under the wings of Jesus.

Luke 13:34 How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn't let me.

There are real storms out there. Physical, emotional and natural hurricanes, tornadoes, and bitter cold storms.

2Samuel 22:3 My God is my rock, in whom I find protection...

Let Him gather us. Let Him protect us. No one can do it better.

Suz

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, that's her name - Amy! I am so glad to hear she is well and still living close by. :)

Suz said...

Patti,

Yes, she lives close by and I never get to see her enough. She's my girl and she's my heart.

Thanks for asking about her. You're a good friend.

Suz

Anonymous said...

woo hoo! i made the blog! i love being one of your chickens! xoxo

Suz said...

baker betty, you're always in my blog whether I name you or not. I love you. Mom