Friday, June 13, 2008

my snuggling pup

Blue is our 9 year old chihuahua and he has issues. He's on meds so he won't have seizures and the medication he takes causes his liver not to function well. He's been known to have back problems and has needed more meds and bedrest on occasion. His fear makes him an aggressive little dog. If you happen to encounter him, don't turn away or he'll bite your ankles.

He comes when we call and is affectionate with us, but throughout the 6 years we've had him, he's been standoffish about staying too close for too long. When he sits near me, he'll stay relaxed until I touch him or speak to him. If that happens, he's outta there! That is, until yesterday.

We had a thunderstorm at our house with lots of lightning and booming going on. He came to me on the couch a couple of times as a trial run. He let me pet him a minute but soon jumped off the couch and paced around the house trying to feel safe somewhere--anywhere. Then he jumped up once more. I petted him calmly and told him I'd take care of him--something I've done a hundred other times--and surprise of all surprises, he stayed. After about 30 sec his little body relaxed and he snuggled down with me. Oh, it wasn't the usual snuggle. This was a "get my nose in her arm pit, bone loosening, snuggle down and trust her" event. I could not believe what I was experiencing! It was amazing and completely out of the norm for this little guy. When the next thunder boom happened, he didn't move to run away, but buried his little nose even deeper into safety. I relished his closeness and dependence upon me.

Like my sweet pup, there've been times I've run from pillar to post trying to find safety. I've searched to find a calm place where my heart can settle down, a place where I can regroup and regain my perspective on the truth of what's going on. As I was always there for little Blue, the truth is, that no matter what's going on, Jesus is waiting for us, for me, to seek Him out for that safe place. He is the calm in the middle of the storm. I can snuggle down into Him all the more whether it's crazy outside or it's crazy inside.

I knew all along Blue would feel safe with me if he'd only let himself relax into my arms, and the Lord knows the same about us. As Blue surrendered to my care and protection letting me provide comfort for him, so can we also snuggle down and let the Lord comfort and mother us. I believe the Lord takes pure joy in our dependence upon Him, as I did my little pup's.

Lord, help me surrender to YOUR care and protection. When it's crazy everywhere, outside and in, let me relax into your arms in utter dependence upon you. I love you, Father.

Suz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I never put a topic in perspective like this, amazing!! I too want to snuggle under God our Father! I want Him to protect me and keep me from all harm.
Love you!

Pastor Gary B Howell said...

Ms. Sue, what a great story and an example of the security that is found in the presence of Jesus. Yes, we all, too often, run around in circles looking for comfort, strength, and release from our struggle. All the while, Jesus is there waiting for us to jump into His lap, His presence and bury our "nose" into Him. Lord, I too want to trust like this.

Pastor Gary