Saturday, June 28, 2008

the last puzzle piece

In the movie "Jerry McGuire," Tom Cruise tells Rene Zellweger, "You complete me." He's really making points with her by saying this to her because the need to feel complete is so great in each of us. He is saying that whatever is lacking in his life, she satisfies that lack. My guess is that she believes if she completes him, then he will do the same for her. This makes for a good movie scene but we in the real world know that one human being cannot do this in entirety for another human being.

We may fit together well with our best friend, personality-wise and we may even go together like hand in glove with our spouse, but, the truth is, deep down we know there are gaps and empty spaces that no other human being will ever be able to supply.

We all know people who have tried to fill this void with bad relationship choices, multiple marriages, and even having children or pets to try to replace what's missing for them, and nothing--no one--except Jesus, will fit the bill.

Keith Green sings a song about Jesus supplying exactly what he needed when he was unsaved. He sings, "I was so lost and you showed the way, 'cause you are the way. I was lied to but you told the truth, 'cause you are the truth. I was dying and you gave me Life, 'cause you are the Life. How I love you 'cause you gave your life for me." Jesus, the Way, the Truth and the Life.

In Isaiah 61:1-3 the prophet announces good tidings to those who need them most. The Lord sent him to "bind the brokenhearted, proclaim liberty to those held captive, open the prison to the bound, comfort those who mourn, give beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, and the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness that ultimately the Lord would be glorified."

There is an emptiness, a vacuum, in each of us that only the Lord Jesus fills perfectly. In each instance, Jesus is the last puzzle piece. He gives us our much needed freedom, joy, beauty and comfort. No friend, spouse, child, pet, not even a teacher or pastor will, or can, do it all for us. As much as each one of these mean to us, they won't meet our need. The cross supplied our necessity for a Savior and He alone meets our every need, daily. No other person will fill that emptiness. Jesus fits exactly and only He completes the picture. Only He truly completes us.

Father, Help me to always look to you to fill the voids in my life. Whatever my need; comfort, joy, beauty, or praise for my heaviness...whatever the need...remind me to always look to you and to trust you to fill it. Thank you Lord for supplying these empty spaces, these gaps. Thank you, thank you.

Suz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I haven't heard the name Keith Green in ages, I used to love to listen to him sing back in the 80's... Oh yea and I love the movie Jerry Maguire. I used the one liner all the time to Bailey, "You complete me" he eats it up!!! Love you! thanks for blogging from your heart.

Angie said...

Excellent Post, Sue.