Monday, December 17, 2007

right answers and Jesus-loving old ladies

A friend gave me a family photo Christmas card. The girls (about 12 and 6) were smiling with a lovely Christmas tree and presents behind them. The eldest of the girls asked me how I liked the card and I said it was very nice and they looked pretty in it. She then told me how she'd been "sick as a dog" that day and that she'd "puked her guts out" before the photo was taken. Then she said, "I take a pretty good picture when I'm sick."

Another young girl I know was asked recently if she cooked and she piped up proudly, "Yeah, I'm a great cook!" Now I happen to know this is an exaggeration as she rarely even tries to fix food. Had I not known this fact, I might have mistaken her for a young Rachel Ray.

Several years ago, the diagnosis of the day for any problem that came up with children was a "lack of self-esteem," and the cure was to build their self-confidence. Not so with these 2 girls. There was no lack of self-confidence here. Just ask them! Granted, both these girls are young and immature but it does give me pause to ask where all this "hooray for me" came from?

I will admit that I used to know a lot more stuff some years back than I do today. In fact, it seems I'm sure of fewer and fewer things as the years go by. Back then, I knew right was right and wrong was wrong about so very many issues--even ones the Bible wasn't clear on. If you asked me, I could tell you what was what. Case closed.

I like to think as we grow older our edges soften, our hearts widen and empathy is the balm that soothes us when disagreements arise. Please understand, right is right and wrong is still wrong. There is absolute truth and on this the Bible is clear. Where there is any leeway at all, however, I want to temper my heart with love. When it comes to difference of opinion, I try to remember what a wise pastor once taught us. It is better to love than to be "right."

I don't have as much self-confidence as I once did, I don't do everything well, and I don't have as many 'right' answers as I once did. But I do have more love, and I try to show it more often than before. And when I grow really old, I want to be one of those sweet, lovely, kind, Jesus-loving old ladies with my eyes on heaven.

I love you all.

Suzanne

No comments: