Sunday, December 9, 2007

peaceful time together

Hannah and Summer spent yesterday afternoon and evening with my niece Kayla and me so Mommy and Daddy could have a "date." I anticipated their arrival all day. My granddaughters are my joy and I love spending time with them both.

Our evening was low key. I fixed a little dinner, we ate, laughed and hung out. There was TV to watch and word play to enjoy. Summer had a little trouble with her pup allergy so we sat outside on the porch swing a while so she could breathe some non-doggy air. She selected the most beautiful rocks in my yard and we talked of little refrigerators for her bedroom and thorns on roses she calls "pokeys". (When I told her I used to call them "pickers," she laughed.) I think "pokeys" is funnier.

I baked some brownies and we just had a very relaxed evening. There was no drama, no tension, just nice family time, granddaughters and Suzy. Mom and Dad picked them up about 10 or so after their dinner out. I gave them their special kisses...buzzing them both on their neck, and they went home to sleep. They'd had a very busy day.

As I write this I realize this picture isn't the case in many households, and it may sound boring to most, but, for us it was perfect. No one was ill or ill-tempered and there was no selfishness or aggravation or tears. I treasure these times.

The Lord is helping me smell the roses and relax in the moment. There are too many times that are overwhelming and dramatic, so when a sweet one comes along, I want to revel in it. Love it. Savor it.

God is good and He gives us good gifts.

Suzanne

No comments: