Monday, December 10, 2007

precious gifts

Sunday morning our pastor asked us if we were willing to give to God something that cost us something. I thought long and hard about what I had to offer to the Lord because for some years now I have held my material possessions loosely where He is concerned. If I've got it and the Lord has need of it, it's His. What could I give Him of mine He didn't already have?

So in those few moments of worship and prayer, I imagined the chamber of my heart. I invited the Lord into the rounded room with a rosey hue. At the back wall of my heart there was an open door to a room which was dimly lit. The Lord and I both know what is in this secluded place. This room holds what I don't easily offer or open to anyone. It's the secret place of my heart where my real treasures are kept. It is the place where love abounds for those dearest to me. It is where I hold my family close: my husband, children, grandchildren, siblings, dear friends, etc. To invite Him in was not easy for me, but it is important that the Lord has access to everything in my life. Everything. Even family.

So, I took my dear family, one by one, and offered them as gifts to Jesus. Each one, individually, each one, more precious than the next, offered to the Master. With each gift, I wept, not of sorrow, but of surrender, of sweet and total surrender to Jesus, my Lord.

I love you all.
Suzanne

No comments: