Monday, March 28, 2011

writing and fun

I was 9 years old when I decided that my time walking the block to elementary school could be productive if I wrote poetry on my way to and from school. The problem was that I knew little to nothing about poetry. My daddy wrote light verse for Mom and us kids before he went to work each morning so that's what I thought poetry was all about. With my school-walking poem though, I never got beyond the first couplet because rhyming wasn't a strength of mine back then. I was stuck and didn't know how to get unstuck! Even as a child, I knew that creatively writing could be wonderful and satisfying though I couldn't yet get the hang of it myself.

Fifty years later, enter my wildly enthusiastic granddaughter who loves just about everything! She'd do it! I knew she would! I told Summer if she'd write a story, I'd post it on my blog for all my friends and our family to see--and she did it. She wrote a story for me and ultimately, for you all. The only changes I made were to add a couple of commas and quotation marks for clarity. Here it is in its entirety for your reading enjoyment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Candy
by
Summer Loftin
(age 10)


I know for a fact that everyone LOVES candy! But has anyone ever been scared of it or at least think it's creepy in any way shape or form? Your probably thinking, "What the heck? This girl is crazy! I love candy and nothing will ever change that!"

Well, think again! After you read this story, you will say, "WOW! candy can be creepy after all." And I'll be the one doin' the runnin' man, sayin, "Oh yeah, suckers, I was right! WOOP! WOOP!"

So, once upon a time there was a girl named Penelopea. She loved candy so much she actually wanted to change her name to Sweet Tart Sally! Just Kidding! But she did love candy a whole lot! One day she was casually walking on a yellow brick rode when she spotted a huge lollipop with a hole just her size. So she climbed in and hoped for the best! She was surprised that when she fell it didn't hurt at all. When she realised where she was and what was fluffy and apparently she was sitting on cotton candy! And best of all she was in Candy Wonderland!

So she wandered and wandered all around until she saw that all of the candy around her had really mean, scary faces on! She was really scared and super upset! The only thing she could think of was, "Why are all these pieces of candy so mad at her?"

Apparently, she forgot to sign in at the front desk and they said they were not mad, just scared. They said they were sorry to frighten her and they lived happily ever after!!

So, you see, candy can be sort of scary.

I guess that wraps it up.

The End
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love my little Summer, her story, and the Lord, The original Creator, for blessing me with three wonderful grandkids who are creative in their own unique ways.

Suz




No comments: