Saturday, March 19, 2011

walking in the dark

I was watching Intervention tonight with my pups when the power went out. It's the first time we've lost power here in Alabama so I wasn't exactly sure what to do or who to call. Would it be a long time? What's the power outage phone number? Did burglars cut our lines? I had lots of questions as I sat in the darkness.

After about a minute I decided to check out the burglar thing by looking out the window. After all, it's a full moon tonight. I should be able to see them if they are messing around our house, right? I went to the door and opened the shade. Nope. Nobody there--and the power pole light was out too. Then, I decided I'd walk to the front windows to see if our neighbors had power.

Now, I knew the pups water bowl was behind the recliner and close to the futon...I KNEW it was there--but I hit it with my foot anyway and it spilled all over the floor and got the carpeting wet. Shoot! It figures. My next mission was to feel my way the short distance to the kitchen to get a kitchen towel to sop up the mess. That's what I get for meandering around in the dark--even though I thought there was enough moonlight was seeping through the slits in our blinds to do it safely. One can never have too much light for safety's sake. No power next door, but also no strange cars in our long driveway, either. Seems as though all was well on the western front--or whichever direction we're in.

Next mission. Find my IPhone for its light and look up the power company's phone number to report the outage since we didn't have a flashlight in the house. I didn't want to go hours on end waiting for it to come back on just because I didn't report it. I keep it in my purse and I usually drop my purse on the floor by my nightstand so I felt my way in there to find it. OK, found the table with no problem. Then, I bent down to grab my purse and when I did I whapped my mouth flatly on the corner of the nightstand. OUCH! Of course, I hollered and woke up Byron. It hurt like crazy! I could just see myself now, big honkin' swollen lip, bleeding all over the place, big blue ugly thing...

So, of course, by then Byron got up and found a type flashlight in his hunting backpack that shows blood trails when he's hunting. No regular flashlights in this house. I'm holding my mouth and shedding a couple tears heading for the kitchen table where I remembered setting my purse after we'd come in tonight. I'm digging in my purse, still holding my mouth, and he's chasing me with his light saying, "Hold still. Let me look at it. HOLD STILL!" But I've already left the table and made my way to my notebook with all my Alabama documents to find the outage line number.

"Come here! Let me look at it! Will you just stand still for a minute!"

"OK, here. Look! But be careful. It hurts so bad."

"I'm not gonna hurt you. Just let me see it."

"OK. Ow Ow Ow."

He looked at my lip and pronounced it "not bad at all." No blood. No cut. A little puffy on the inside but otherwise I'm in good shape. I'm torn. I'm glad I'm not an ugly mess, but after all, I've already endured the pain and now I don't even have a battle scar, a trophy, for this little adventure. While we're assessing the tiny bit of damage to my lip, the power comes back on and we have light and air conditioning once again. Yay!

Byron kept saying, "You just can't go wandering around the house in the dark like this." He doesn't know that I often move around the house with no lights on. Every night, when I get up to get some water, or inevitably go to the bathroom, I have no light. I know where I'm going and I never have a problem...at least I'd never HAD a problem until tonight. Light would have been the very thing I needed so I wouldn't have hurt myself.

His words got me thinking about my spiritual life. How many times have I thought I knew better about spiritual matters when what I really needed was Jesus' light on the issue? How often could I have had His wisdom and light in giving advice to someone but I decided I was OK without it? How many times have I fallen in my own strength when, if I'd only asked, I could have had His strength?

The Lord is light and in Him there is no darkness at all. Tonight's slightly bruised lip helped me remember something vitally important about the Lord in my life--I need His light everywhere, all the time.

Sometimes it's the smallest thing that brings to light the biggest truth.

Suz





No comments: