Tuesday, September 15, 2009

needs and wants

My chicken coop is about finished and it's looking really good. Almost too good for chickens. Byron has worked exceptionally hard on this project for me and I really appreciate all the hours he's spent on it. For as much as he's done, the selection of a plan, gathering of materials and hour upon hour of sheer labor, one might think I had to sweet talk, wheedle, cajole or even beg him to start this project. I didn't. It took a phone call to him one day while he was on his job.

"Hi honey. How are you doing?"

"I'm good. Just working is all."

"Yeah. I know sweety. Be sure you drink enough water. OK?"

"I will."

"Hey. I have an idea and I want you to build something for me."

"What?"

"I really want some chickens and I want to let them run around the yard during the day but I need a chicken coop to keep them safe at night."

"You do?"

"Yep. I do."

"OK. I'll build you a coop."

"OK. Thank you. I love you!"

"I love you, too. See you this evening."

"OK. See you later."

That was all that was said and now, my coop is nearly finished--after more labor than I ever thought it would take. That's all it took. A desire. A request. A yes. Lots o'work. Finished project. Voila! Yard chickens and fresh eggs to come soon!

Byron is doing this thing for me for one main reason. He loves me. After thirty- nine years he still wants to make his girl happy by giving me something I really want. Even if it is a chicken coop that is going to take considerable labor. That's what love does. It acts to supply the needs and desires for the benefit of the beloved.

The Lord shows His love for us, too. For example, in the last couple of weeks there have been many prayers for a friend's new baby who was born with a heart problem. Family called family called friend called friend to ask for prayer for this newborn, for this definite need. There was a huge need, a strong desire, for a healthy baby for the parents and family, and, out of love many, many people prayed sincerely asking for the Lord to intervene in this child's life. And, the Lord, in His infinite goodness and love, is answering these heartfelt prayers. The baby is doing better and we will continue to ask the Lord to heal him.

The Lord does stuff like this for us all the time for the same reason. Pure love. When we ask sincerely for a need, He answers. When we pray for a want, He often supplies it for us. That's not to say the Lord is like our Christmas tradition of Santa. Heaven forbid! But it is definitely like the role our earthly dads fulfill during our lifetime. My dad often gave me something I wanted, just because I wanted it, and the Lord wants to give us gifts, too. My dad would have never in a million years given me something he felt would harm me--just as my Heavenly Father would never give me harmful things.

9Would any of you give your hungry child a stone, if the child asked for some bread?10Would you give your child a snake if the child asked for a fish? 11As bad as you are, you still know how to give good gifts to your children. But your heavenly Father is even more ready to give good things to people who ask. (Luke 11.9-11)

What need do you have? What desire do you yearn for? Come to the Lord with a humble heart seeking Him and asking Him for what you need. Ask Him and trust His wisdom for your life. Seek Him. The Lord is trustworthy and good. He will be found. He will not turn you away.

Father, thank you for your pure love for your children. Thank you for wisely choosing good gifts for us. Thank you for friends and family that hold us up in prayer when the need is great and thank you for your touch in our friend's baby's life. I am grateful for your presence in my life. I love you so very much.

Suz

No comments: