Tuesday, October 14, 2008

our trip to Dominican Republic

Our missions trip to CIMA del Rey in Dominican Republic was a good one. The team worked really hard pouring concrete, painting, tearing out old construction, plumbing and installing electrical stuff and cleaning up. It was a hard trip in many ways, too. I thought because I lived in Florida that the heat wouldn't bother me. It bothered me.

The facilities are located on a hill that is surrounded by many beautiful mountains so air doesn't circulate easily. It's still, a lot. (Come, breeze, come.) I don't think I've ever been as hot in my life as I was there. Add to the mix spotty power service and the nights could be really long and hot with not even a fan. It got so hot that I gave in and opened our windows to the bedroom despite having no screens on them. Thank the Lord no creatures came in. And there were a few creatures there.

We drank gallon after gallon of water that was sometimes even cool. We didn't dare become dehydrated. With that type labor going on, heat stroke could have been right around the corner. Our food was prepared by Martha and her sisters-in-law and it was tasty. A few new things to try but mostly familiar. We also shared what food items we brought from home to supplement our meals. A bite or two of the packaged Rice Krispy treats that I had with me brought squeals of joy from a couple of the younger ones there. We took breaks to allow the occasional breeze to cool us down.

Sunday night at the local church's service we were loved on and made to feel welcome. On Wednesday, when we went to the weekly outreach service behind the village elementary school, approx. 350 children of all ages sang and played games and heard the story of Maria, Jose', and their son, Jesus. At the end of the service, Pastor Pedro had us line up two by two to make a tunnel through which the children would pass. As they came through we laid hands on them, prayed for each one and then gave them a sweet treat as they exited the prayer tunnel. At least, that's the way it was supposed to work. The kids were so excited about the sweet, it was not single file through the line...it got a little pushy as they moved quickly to receive their candy. Then it poured down rain and we were praying for excited, sweet-treat loving, wet children. We had a blast! We were a mess, but we also enjoyed every minute of it. The love that Pastor Pedro has for the youth in this village and all of Santo Domingo is gigantic...kind of like his heart.

I guess if there's any one thing about a missions trip that's consistent for me, it's the way we slip easily into the appreciation for small things. That cool breeze at just the right moment. A fresh bottle of water when thirst is greatest. Electricity. Hot water for a shower. A shower. Playing down at the river with the friends you worked with all day and having so much fun that they hear the group's laughter all the way back at the main building on the hill. Sharing a bag of cashews, instant oatmeal, a Crystal Light tea packet, a friend bandaging your boo-boo, or doctoring your eye when there's a piece of trash in it. A sister praying for you when you hurt. A brother or sister surrendering more of himself or herself to the Lord during the morning devotions and the others surrounding him or her with prayer, love and encouragement.

Parts of this trip were difficult for me. I struggled with some of the inconveniences. Did I mention I was hot? My energy wasn't where I'd have liked it to be and my body hurt, a lot, BUT the Lord met with us so tenderly in our morning devotions and on Thursday night when Pastor Pedro brought some young people to minister to us with fun and prayer that I can call this trip a definite success. Those hot nights brought awake time--time to read my Bible with my batteried booklight--time to pray. There are so many areas in which I can grow. I'm sure some of them should already be completed and they are not, but the Lord lovingly reveals them to me then helps me work on them--like contentment and peace.

Help me listen and learn, Lord. Listen. Learn. Thank you for this learning trip for me, Father. I love you.

Suz

1 comment:

Angie said...

I just don't think I could have done it without air conditioning 24/7...I probably would have been crying and hyserical at some point during the week. I can take chaotic situations and confusion, but physically...I'm a wimp.