Monday, October 27, 2008

my granddaughter, Hannah

We have two delightful granddaughters and one energetic grandson. Summer Rose and Hannah Rose Loftin and Sid Baker.

Sunday, October 26, 2008, our granddaughter, Hannah, turned 13! I can barely type these words without my mouth falling open. Our first grandbaby, 13 years old. Now, don't get me wrong. She doesn't look like a baby but no matter how grown up she becomes, she will always be my "baby grand."

I remember when Holly told me she was expecting her and how I was overwhelmed with emotion. How could my baby be having a baby? That in itself was mindboggling. As we followed Holly's pregnancy, I remember when Hannah was, according to the pregnancy book, the size of a pinto bean. Our very own little pinto bean. It was an exciting time.

As Hannah grew within her mother's womb, I spoke to her everytime I saw her. I bent down to Holly's belly, held it and said, "Hi Hannah. It's me, Grammy. I love you. I can't wait to see you and hold you." I didn't care that the same pregnancy book said she couldn't hear me. I told her anyway. Declaring my love for her cemented something strong, if not in her, then it did within my heart.

Maybe those feelings of connectedness are common across the board for all grandmothers. My experience with my own grandmothers was sketchy. They were too old, too sick or too far away in distant lands like Georgia and Tennessee for me to have much of a relationship with either of them. So I'm flying by the seat of my pants here in my efforts to grandmother my precious grandkids. All I know is that I feel a unique bond with my grandgirl, Hannah. She humors her old Suzy in a noncondescending way. She asks me questions and then listens to my answers. She continues our conversations with insightful questions and thinks about answers and solutions. Don't get me wrong. We're not talking rocket science here. We're talking about ideals and friendships and experiences. My experiences and her middle school experiences. She's an intelligent girl with a tender heart, much 13 yr old wisdom, who loves Jesus and loves me, too. What more could a grandmother ask for?

I've said it many times but I'll say it again. The Lord has certainly blessed me with more good things than I could ever imagine--with friends, with family, with grandchildren.

Happy Birthday, Hannah. I love you, honey.

Suzy

4 comments:

Jen said...

What a beautiful relationship. Reminds me of me and Mema. It was/is the most special relationship in my life. I can't say anymore b/c I will get too emotional and I have to go to class...
It's great that you cherish her, b/c, trust me, she cherishes you.

Suz said...

Your grandmother loved all her family deeply but anytime she spoke of you, Jennifer, she smiled and her face lit up. She loved you and was proud of you in ways that uniquely belong to a grandmother and granddaughter.

Jen said...

ok, so your post made me cry like a baby in my office at school and my professor is sitting her consoling me. I miss her so much. Thanks for sharing such lovely memories with me.

Anonymous said...

It is a unique bond that exists between grandparents and grandchildren. Even more remarkable, at least in my case, is the fact that you do not have to have a direct blood link between your children and grandchildren.

I remember the day that my Amy told me that she was pregnant. I called you, crying, because I felt Amy was still so young and this would absolutely ruin her life. She should go back to college and be a responsible professional therapist. Fourteen years later I look back and remember your words to me saying that this baby is meant to be and that the Lord will look after Amy and her child. Needless to say, my grandson, Shane, Jr. is the light of my life and I can’t imagine not having him here. To add to the joy of Shane, Trey and Bailey were later added and they remain a constant reminder of what life is about.

I did not give birth to Amy, yet she is my daughter. The children that she has brought into this world are my true grandchildren. I did not give birth to Louis III, but he is my son. Thus, someday, if he and Rebecca decide it is right for them, they will be blessed with children and through this wonder of life I will be a grandma again.

I did not want children when I was growing up. I am so thankful that the Lord had other ideas for my destiny.

I believe Hannah, Summer and Sid would agree that they are very blessed to have Suzy as their grandma.

I love you,
Rose