Wednesday, February 6, 2008

my girls and Jamaica


The Jamaica missions trip is approaching quickly! We leave on Feb 23 for Content Gap, Jamaica and the City of Refuge Children's Home. I'm very excited about this trip because I hope to meet my new little girls. I began this year sponsoring 3 young girls who are living at the home.

The eldest girl, on the center left, is Crystal. She will be 8 yrs old in May.
Her sister, Denise, is at the top right and she will be 5 yrs old in Oct.

The baby is not related to the other two girls, but little Abigail, will turn 2yrs old in June 08.

Total cost for taking care of each child at the home is $150 a month but sponsorship can be established for as little as $25 per month. The children's home breaks it into smaller increments so more people can know the joy of helping a specific child in need. I'm looking forward to writing letters, sending gifts and communicating with each child.

When I received my packet with the photos last week, my heart melted. I wasn't expecting to be moved quite as much as I was. Yes, I knew the girls were in need, and I expected them to be as cute as buttons, but what I didn't expect was to be hit with such a loving sense of commitment to them. These are my girls, and they just happen to live at the top of a mountain at a children's home in Jamaica.

We've met many missionaries over the last year who are involved with the helpless, desperate children everywhere. The Puffpaffs in Jamaica, the Dickinsons in Africa and the Grants in India are only three of many wonderful missionaries spending their lives so wisely for the Lord taking care of our orphans, our fatherless, and our enslaved children all over the world. In Psalms 68:5-6, God promises to be a father to the fatherless, to set the lonely in families and lead the prisoners forth with singing, and we are His hands extended. I am so happy He chose these little girls to set into my family.

I love you all.
Suzanne

No comments: