Monday, March 25, 2013

Popeye the Protector

I was about 7 years old when my mother told me there was going to be a new cartoon on at 6pm that night.  It was called, "Popeye."   She said I'd love it and I did!  My new cartoon hero was wonderful!  He was a good guy sailor, with a girlfriend named Olive Oyl.  He loved her and took care of her.  They had fun together, that is until Bluto came along and wrecked everything!

Bluto was a bully of the worst kind.  He wanted Olive Oyl to be his girlfriend and sometimes she was foolish enough to spend time with him.  She was foolish because Bluto treated her badly.  That usually caused a fight between the two men and Bluto with his brute strength would eventually overpower the small, but tough sailor-man--that is until Popeye got his hands on a can of spinach!  Popeye's wonder food!  He'd squeeze the can, pop the spinach out, suck it down and his muscles would explode with strength and he'd mop the floor with big, bully Bluto!  Yay!  The good guy wins!  Popeye was the champion and Olive was safe once again. I loved knowing that no matter what happened with Olive Oyl, that her protector would defend her--even when she made poor choices and got into trouble.

There are days I want a Popeye to come to my rescue!  Days when life feels heavy and burdensome.  Days when it feels like Bluto is beating the stuffing out of me and I can't get a grip on my can of spinach.  Days when I simply don't have any personal strength.  The good thing is that I remember Jesus.  Jesus, my friend.  Jesus, my helper.  Jesus, my defender. One might think since I've been serving the Lord such a long time that I'd just automatically turn to Him in all things, and most often I do.  But there are battles, and then there are battles.  Some of them come at us fiercely and full force and we collapse at Jesus' feet crying out to Him to rescue us!  And He does!

Then there is the other type of battle.  The one that is insidious and sneaky.  It is the one that at first blush, we might consider small or insignificant for a while and that we can handle it ourselves.  HA!  This is the battle that can have staying power.  It grows roots like kudzu on a southern highway and it infiltrates every nook and cranny of our life.  Before we know it, we are so bound up with it that it is all we can talk about.  It is all we can think about.  It carries fear, worry, and heartache with it and it turns out to be the hardest one to conquer--because we can't conquer it.  We never could!  

Thankfully, we can turn to Jesus!  He's still stronger than these tangly, prickly, binding, crippling troubles!  There's nothing too hard for Him and He doesn't need to get his hand on a can of spinach to handle our hard issues!  I trust him to defend me because He doesn't defend me because I am good.  He defends me because He is good.

"But you, oh Lord, are a shield about me, my glory and the One who lifts my head."  Psalms 3:3  

He is our protector and our defender!  Cartoon Olive Oyl has her cartoon Popeye, but we are flesh and bone human beings who make mistakes, have faults, and have troubles--and we have the Son of God who shields us and lifts our head when we give Him opportunity and access.  I don't want to fight my own battles.  I want the Lord in charge of my life in all things, in all areas.  

Thank you, Lord, for your goodness and your presence in my life.  Thank you for shielding me and lifting my head.  Thank you for showing me truth even with the things of childhood, even a cartoon.  I love you, Father.  

Suzanne     








No comments: