Monday, October 24, 2011

our last week

The rain has been pretty regular lately. It's nearing the end of the rainy season here in Malabo and it seems it's going to go out in a downpour! We had rain on Friday, Saturday, Sunday night and Monday morning. The guys left to go to work this morning and turned around and came back for a few hours until it slacked off enough for them to do some work. It's overcast but not raining now and they will probably work a bit late tonight because it's their opportunity to catch up and work hard to accomplish their goal of finishing building three and getting busy on building four.

Our three replacements, Joyce, Kathy and Steve made it with only one missing bag, and even it showed up the next evening as promised. Kathy and Steve joined the guys on the job site, while Joyce has been a big help to me in the kitchen. We're making chili, espinacha (African spinach), fresh green salad with homemade honey mustard dressing and Apple Walnut Cake for dessert. I know they will all be hungry tonight. Longer work days will do that to ya!

Since we've been gone my poor pup, 12 year old, Treasure, has been having some health issues and isn't doing very well. The vet thinks it's her bile duct, maybe gall stones, etc., so in turn, Amy has been dealing with sick dog issues. It's been hard on her trying to take care of her family and our three dogs, one of which has needed special meds, food, treatment and trips to the vet. I had so hoped things would go smoothly for her but it hasn't been the case at all. Wonder why issues come up like this when there's no way to remedy them? I have been praying for Amy and for our pup. I'd like to be there to fix it, but it's way out of my hands and solely in the Lord's.

We went out Saturday for a hamburger and ice cream as a special treat and it was delicious! I actually had a small Margherita pizza, which was delicious, but the real treat was the small scoop of coconut ice cream! Now I'm not a big ice cream person and I can usually take it or leave it, but I'm so glad I chose to take it on our outing. This tiny scoop of ice cream was truly creamy and sweet with a fresh coconutty flavor highlighted by tiny bits of fresh coconut throughout. I don't know if we will be heading there again before we go home, but I will remember this frozen treat for a long time to come!
Church was great yesterday. Each Sunday we've gone, the attendance has increased. The preaching was excellent and I love the African worship! The music is unique with the African harmonies and rhythms and since Malabo is on an island, I think there's quite an islandy sound too. The most fun part is the dancing as worship. It's spontaneous and fun and celebratory! Wouldn't it be fun to have this type dance at Glad Tidings? A little bit of Africa in Ocoee, Florida...

We have just a few more days to labor before we head home. Time to keep going so we can get as much done as possible while we are here. Please pray for rain free and injury free days for our team! God is good and blessing our efforts!

Father, thank you for these new experiences and for helping us to learn how to trust you even when we're a long way from home. I'm so glad there's no distance in prayer. I love you and trust you.

Suz

No comments: