Wednesday, August 17, 2011

uncluttered days and contentment

I had a good day today in beautiful Alabama. It was cool this morning, hot this afternoon and cool again in the late afternoon. The woods are looking a little ragged with the Tulip Poplars' leaves already turning yellow. My plum tree's leaves are getting crunchy and they are starting to drop and with the exception of the long leaf pines brilliant new leaves, the green is starting to fade throughout the landscape. The cicadas and night bugs sing loudly as soon as the sun goes down. Summer is definitely waning, and even though I'm not pushing any season out of the way, I can almost see fall waiting in the wings ready to take its place on stage.

I cooked three meals today and I loved it. In Florida we would have a simple breakfast, a hurried sandwich for lunch and then a regular dinner. It's different here. The day seems to start earlier and last longer. There are no pressing appointments, only a few special people to visit, and life, at least for us, goes at a snail's pace while we are here. I have time to fix a simple hot lunch. Take ground beef out of the freezer for supper, let it thaw, then fix some spaghetti with meat sauce, salad and garlic bread for our evening meal.

While Byron worked on the yard and later, the mower, I finished unpacking our containers of the things I brought with us and put away all our clothes, etc. for the weeks we will be here. I made the bed, cared for the pups, including taking all three of them out umpteen times to potty. (It takes them a day or so to become readjusted to this place and the potty routine.) I also had time to read more of my book, The Help. It's one I'm really enjoying so I only read it in fits and starts. I don't want to gobble it down. It's hard but I'm trying to savor it. I called my daughter and talked with her a while and with the little bit of clean up from the meals and straightening up, I stayed mostly busy in a contented way, today.

I felt purposeful and necessary and productive. Is this what getting older is supposed to be for me? I don't know how I'm supposed to feel at nearly 59 yrs old. I don't want to be "old" before my time, and on one hand, I feel as though I should fight growing older tooth and toenail--clinging to youth, such as it is at this point, with a death grip. On the other hand, this feels so nice and satisfying. Simple, and good. Normal. I have time to enjoy the things I'm doing. My heart is peaceful.

I like it.

Working at this slower pace allows me time to think--a lot. I think about my family and how dear they are to me. I think about my grandchildren and the people they are becoming. I think about dear friends and remember the fun times we've had, and this uninterrupted time to think allows for simple prayers--you know the kind, "Lord, you know the troubles he has. Intercede for him, Jesus." "Father, she's having a tough time, give her Your strength." "Jesus, I love her so much! She makes me laugh! Thank you for her place in my life." It's spontaneous, but timely conversation with my God at an easy pace. What a treasure!

This was my uncluttered day. If you are my friend or family, I probably brought your name before the Lord today. If the Lord allows them, there are big plans in the months to come on the horizon, and I gladly anticipate them, but for this season, this time, in this place, I want to immerse myself in this day, in this moment, and experience everything the Lord has for me here. There's much to learn from even the simplest tasks and encounters. I don't want to miss anything!

I am not telling you this because I need anything. I have learned to be satisfied with the things I have and with everything that happens. I know how to live when I am poor, and I know how to live when I have plenty. I have learned the secret of being happy at any time in everything that happens, when I have enough to eat and when I go hungry, when I have more than I need and when I do not have enough. I can do all things through Christ, because he gives me strength. Phillipians 4:11-13

This is where my aspirations lay--to be content in any situation--because the Lord is my strength!

Father, Thank you for today. It was a peaceful, satisfying day all around. Help me learn to be content in all my days, even those that are not so peaceful. I love you with all my heart.

Suz

No comments: