Wednesday, August 11, 2010

my black patent leather shoes

I wore the black patent leather Mary Jane dress shoes to church every Sunday when I was eleven years old. I loved those shoes. I had gotten them for Easter, but it wasn't too long after I got them that the sole came loose from the top of the shoe and the side of my foot started sticking out of them. I knew we couldn't afford more new shoes right then, so I showed them to my dad on Saturday night before church the next morning.

He looked at my shoe and we went to the basement to fix it. I watched and asked questions at every step. He talked while he worked cleaning off each side of the opening in my broken shoe. He mixed the epoxy with its catalyst, explained catalysts to me, and carefully spread the mixture thinly over the openings. Then he placed a piece of cloth around the shoe before putting it into the vise so the vise wouldn't mar the shoe. The vise would hold the joint securely overnight until the glue could set.

The next morning while I was getting dressed for church he brought me the repaired shoe. It looked as good as new to me. My shoe only stayed together for a few hours while I was at church but I wasn't worried about it anymore. I knew he'd fix it again for me the next week.

He fixed it every Saturday night until I got a new pair.

No comments: