Thursday, June 3, 2010

how the Lord shows mercy and is kind.

Tonight I read a new friend's testimony about her life and how the Lord took care of her and her children over the last twenty years and I am immediately humbled AND checked by it. Compared to her life, I've lived on proverbial EASY St. and yet, somehow, I still have the nerve to complain? Through her many challenging years she held on to Exodus 9:16 "But I have raised you up for the very purpose, that I might show my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." She and her children are now reaping the harvest of the Lord's blessing on her steadfastness in Him--and I am truly ecstatic for them.

At the same time, I wonder how, I wonder why some people come out of hardship soaring and others, whose troubles don't seem as dramatic, seem to wallow in it all their lives. Why do some of my family members still sit in the mud? Why am I tangled in the results from what they have sown?

So, I reach for my Bible and look up praise and worship and find Psalm 103...Praise to the Lord of Love.
All that I am, praise the Lord;
everything in me, praise his holy name.
2 My whole being, praise the Lord
and do not forget all his kindnesses.
3 He forgives all my sins
and heals all my diseases.
4 He saves my life from the grave
and loads me with love and mercy.
5 He satisfies me with good things
and makes me young again, like the eagle.

6 The Lord does what is right and fair
for all who are wronged by others.
7 He showed his ways to Moses
and his deeds to the people of Israel.
8 The Lord shows mercy and is kind.
He does not become angry quickly, and he has great love.
9 He will not always accuse us,
and he will not be angry forever.
10 He has not punished us as our sins should be punished;
he has not repaid us for the evil we have done.
11 As high as the sky is above the earth,
so great is his love for those who respect him.
12 He has taken our sins away from us
as far as the east is from west.
13 The Lord has mercy on those who respect him,
as a father has mercy on his children.
14 He knows how we were made;
he remembers that we are dust.

15 Human life is like grass;
we grow like a flower in the field.
16 After the wind blows, the flower is gone,
and there is no sign of where it was.
17 But the Lord's love for those who respect him
continues forever and ever,
and his goodness continues to their grandchildren
18 and to those who keep his agreement
and who remember to obey his orders.
19 The Lord has set his throne in heaven,
and his kingdom rules over everything.
20 You who are his angels, praise the Lord.
You are the mighty warriors who do what he says
and who obey his voice.
21 You, his armies, praise the Lord;
you are his servants who do what he wants.
22 Everything the Lord has made
should praise him in all the places he rules.
My whole being, praise the Lord.

As I read this whole chapter, I am comforted because His word has spoken to my complaints and my pain. Everything that seemed out of control because I feel overwhelmed is very much secure and safe, so I can move forward instead of hiding away till the storm passes. I'm so glad he "loads me with grace and mercy!"

My Father isn't afraid of my questions and He doesn't chastise me because I am miserable. Verses 13 and 14 says He has mercy on his children and knows I'm dust. I am weak, and He reassures me about His character and His attributes and His attitudes toward me, His child. I have every reason under the sun to look up and praise him with my whole self!

It's still a tough time for me right now, but I have not become a social recluse and, as much as I would like them to, my concerns have not vanished into the air. After reading my friend's testimony and Psalm 103, my resolve is strengthened and my heart is easier because the Lord is in charge of me. I have every reason to praise Him with my whole being!

What a great God we serve!

Father, You know all about my troubles and you are bigger than them all. Thank you for your care. I praise you because you are God! Your love will continue forever and ever and your goodness will continue down to my grandchildren! I love you so much! Thank you. Thank you!

Suz


1 comment:

Angie said...

Thank you, Suz! I needed a little reminding of good the Lord has been to our friend and her children...and how faithful He is to us when we're faced with a muddy family.