Saturday, October 31, 2009

preparing for our trip to Malabo

It's only a few days until our team from Glad Tidings leaves for Malabo, Equatorial Guinea, Africa. We planned this return trip two years ago when we went to Gabon to put up tabernacles with Pastor Carroll Deal at two churches there. It was great working with him. Our team completed the jobs and we made many friends and memories in July '07. If I never go any place again, I still get to say I went to Africa on a missions trip.

Knowing what we learned from our past trip is helpful in preparing for this one. We know the plane trip is killer and that we will be very tired when we get there. We know that bringing snacks from home is a good idea and that we will see sights we may never see again in our lives. Our project is to start construction on tabernacles for a Bible school to train and prepare new African pastors for their work for the Lord and that our labors will be appreciated by those we are helping. We know that Pastor Carroll treats his teams well, that our established team works together well and that our new team members will be embraced with love and helpfulness from us 'oldies.' We also know we are in store for much that is unknown and, best of all, we know the Lord who is allowing us this great adventure for Him!

It has been a challenge to line up all the details here so we can go away for 10 days or so. Family and friends have been asked for and have offered help and they have been more than willing to pitch in to make this time away as glitch-free as possible. One dear friend even offered to fly in from out west just to help me get away smoothly.

I love all the connections in my life but sometimes I also long for the simplicity of a life that allows me to plan a trip and then just leave at the appointed time--no problem. My life isn't like that at all. We have pets and animals and, most importantly, family that all still need care while we are gone. Life doesn't stop in Apopka, FL just because we make plans to go away and do other things for a few days, even if those things are good things for God.

So, I've made my first list of things to buy and things to do and will work on getting this stuff together this weekend. I should have it all gathered by Monday. Byron and I will pack and I will find other things to pick up that I hadn't thought about. Then, the good Lord willing, we will load up the truck with suitcases, tool boxes, carry-ons, cameras, computer, snacks, and passports on Thursday afternoon and wonder what we've forgotten. We will decide that if we haven't packed it in all our bags yet, then it isn't something that's necessary anyway!

I still feel a little bit at loose ends right now because I'm just not prepared to leave at this moment, but that will come as I check off the things on my list:

Insect repellent. Check. Malaria pills. Check. Rice Krispie Treats. Check.

I trust all the details will come together as they usually do and we will have a productive trip. That we will have a unique time of doing the 'out of the ordinary' for the Lord. That we will have a special time of hearing what the Lord is specifically saying to us in the moment. The Lord is so good to allow us these experiences.

I am pretty sure we will have internet access on the island and I hope to post about our adventures daily. Please pray for our team as we travel and work and please pray for those we are leaving behind for these few days.

I love you all and, Lord willing, will post again soon.

Father, thank you for the great opportunities you place in our lives each day. Thank you for your protective hand and for your ever guiding love for us. I pray you will bless our team and this trip and that you will bless our Christian family in Malabo and our families here. Keep all safe and well. I love you so much, Lord. Thank you for loving us.

Suz


3 comments:

Dr. Diane Mann said...

As always, Suzanne, I love your reading your posts. I'm always particularly interested when anyone talks of missions, as that is the heartbeat of God. A life of service and surrender, not only for those closest by, but for those around the world is a part of His divine intent for our lives.

You have so beautifully portrayed the desire to go, the preparation to go, the anticipation of the journey and the goals of this great ministry opportunity. Know our prayers will be with you and the team as you represent Christ to those who are hungry to know him.

Until He Comes, We Must Go!

Anonymous said...

God bless you and Byron and the rest of your team for doing the work that you do for the Lord. We will pray for you and your family. Much success on your trip. I know it will be wonderful.

I love you, Suzy Q.
Rose

Suz said...

Pastor Diane and Rose,
Thank you for the encouragement and prayer offered up on our team's behalf. It's humbling to see how the Lord takes the least of us and allows us these awesome opportunities for the building up of His kingdom. The Lord is surely good! I love you both.
Suzanne