Tuesday, November 18, 2008

heartburn

I had an endoscopy today. My gastro doc put a camera down my esophagus to my stomach to see what he could see. Personally, I didn't want to do the scope even now, but I'd put it off as long as I possibly could. I have been suffering with heartburn for ten years. Yep. Ten.

Trouble was that I'd tried recently to go off of the Prilosec and each time I'd feel terrible because of the heartburn. I was becoming concerned. At least now I know I just have chronic heartburn. Yippee. That makes me feel better.

The nurse who prepped me for the test asked me some questions about my history and when I told her how long I'd suffered with heartburn she asked me, "Why did you wait so long to check it out?" Before I could answer she said,

"Never mind. I suffered with plantar fasciatis in my feet for three years before doing anything about it. I know how so much time passed before you did anything. Women just deal with stuff on a daily basis without paying much attention to the time." I wonder how much better we might feel if we'd just go ahead and take care of our health issues as they pop up.

Another nurse set me up in the procedure room where she put my oxygen canula over my ears and the openings in my nostrils. As she hooked the tubing over my ears she said,

"Nice ears."

I laughed thinking she was making a joke.

"No, really. You have nice ears. I do this everyday and some ears are flat, some sticky-outy, but you have nice ears."

"Thank you."

It's funny what we notice about people.

My test went off rather uneventfully and without a hitch. The doc took a couple of biopsies and said they didn't look bad but we'd know for sure in a few days. I'm waiting hopefully for the official good report. Then I guess I continue with the meds.

I had a test, it came out well, and I am thankful. I guess everyone has something and mine is heartburn. Without it or with it, God is good.

Suz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everything went well with the test. And yes, God is good. So are the nurses that take care of us when we have to go through these unpleasant procedures. They (usually) help put us at ease. They certainly don't get the consideration that they merit.

Let us know how the biopsy comes out. I’m sure you will be fine.

Hey, maybe you can’t help having heartburn because you are such a hot chick! :)

Love you,
Rose

Suz said...

Yep. That's the reason. Hot chick! Rosie, you're a hoot!

Love ya,
Suzanne