Wednesday, May 28, 2008

yesterday

Karla's funeral day was a good one. For one thing, the weather was perfect. Sunshiny, breezy, and warm. There were dear friends who came to support our family with food, fellowship and love on what is a difficult time for anyone. In spite of some underlying family issues, our family banded together to 'be there' for each other. It was a tiring day, but it really was good. I feel like the Holy Spirit comforted each of us as only He can do.

A little story: After many had already gone home, Byron started up the motorcycle. Aunt Wanda who had been dozing on the couch said (she's nearly 80 yrs old), "Is that the motorcycle?" When told yes, it was the bike, she said, "I gotta get some pants on. I wanna ride. Suzy, get me some pants!" So I found her a pair of pants and some tennis shoes and she was helped onto the bike. (Remember, 80 yrs old) Byron said while they were riding, he was taking it kind of easy with her going about 25 mph and she asked him, "Can this thing go any faster?" He said, "Sure it will." And he took her up to about 55 mph. She came back glowing! I don't believe I've seen her this excited and happy in a long time. Smiling a great big smile with a sparkle in her eye she said afterward, "Boy, am I glad I got to do this! I thought I'd get too bad off to ever ride on it again."

What a woman! I love her so much.

I am so very grateful for what all our friends and family have done for us since Karla's death. The prayer and the good care that we were given is hearwarming.

God is too, too good to me. He gives me such great gifts!

With much love,
Suz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue we are going to be an Aunt Wanda (80) and still riding our Harleys with our men!!! I am glad that the funeral day was good. The Holy Spirit is such a comfort. Love you

Anonymous said...

mom, i thought you did a wonderful job speaking at karla's funeral. you always express yourself beautifully. karla would have loved knowing you wrote something special to say just for her. i love you and am so proud of you. xoxo